Tuesday, August 21, 2012
Author: Hannah Harrington
TB Published: 8. 28. 12 by Harlequin Teen
Everyone knows that Chelsea Knot can't keep a secret. Until now. Because the last secret she shared turned her into a social outcast -- and nearly got someone killed.

Now Chelsea's has taken a vow of silence--to learn to keep her mouth shut, and to stop hurting everyone else. And if she thinks keeping secrets if hard, not speaking up when she's ignored, ridiculed and even attacked is worse. But there's strength in silence, and in new friends who are, shockingly, coming her way. People she never noticed before. A boy she might even fall for. If only her new friends can forgive what she's done. If only she can forgive herself

Inky's Blurbings:
I wish I could give this book more than 2.5 Stars. I've had to many of those lately. But I just can't give five stars to a book that spitting cursings and innuendo every other sentence. (see content) There were a few redeeming qualities about the book, so I'll try to do the book justice.

When I started this, I knew practically nothing about this book. All I know was that I was reading it for a blog event I was asked to participate in. So I'm planted headfirst in this story I don't even know the subject of and right off we have this party with drunk high-school kids, gossip, curses, and other stuff I don't tend to relish in. I was a bit skeptical and then we get Chelsea discovering a secret, and since she apparently can't keep them starts blurbing to everyone. (Ever heard of Self-Control?) Of course it results in her humiliation, outcast, and almost killing the person she blurbed about. In one chapter we have set up the plot for the redemption-forgiveness plot. 

What happens next I actually found very well done and interesting. I liked the process that Chelsea went through to forgive herself and apologive for the wrongs she caused. Seeing her change was probably one of the only things I liked about the book. She was a very interesting character and well developed. You get a lot of her thoughts since she's not speaking. Seeing the world from her head and position was well written. That and her new best friend Asha. Rock on girl. You are the bomb.

As w/most YA books, there is romance included. It was interesting how he helped her change and was part of that process. So yes, I did like Sam (he DOES have a name!). He was fantastical and hot and developed. I liked how their relationship went from nothing to a good connection. 

So honestly I didn't dump this book on the DNF shelf so that I could finish seeing how Chelsea ended up and how the romance rinalized. Other than that the content was getting to me. I can take some cursing and innuendo. I understand that sometimes characters just "need" to swear. But when the S, F and B words are being thrown out very often and sometimes casually that, to me is just a sign of bad grammar. Really? You couldn't have said that any better? We had to hear all that crap? (Please keep in mind that these are my direct opinions. I mean no offense to any who would find it.) Not to mention the innuendo, sexual and lesbian matters expressed in this book. It's all good and fine but to me I don't need all that.

So the story was disappointing on the content level but due to the redeeming qualities that didn't make it a total DNF read. I'm not sure that I would reccomend this unless you are okay with the language, content and like a nice contemporary story about redemption. That was very well told, and I do give it to Hannah (same name!) for that.

Content: Moderate-Heavy
(Rumors-gossiping-belittling of others. Drinking, getting drunk. I was surprised how centered around lesbians this book was. Character stumbles upon gays making out. It's seen a few times. Gay jokes, mention of gay characters. Innuendo, mention of slutty people. More innuendo. Two characters sleep in clothes together. SLEEP. A make out a bunch of times. Language: Sh** = 15+, He** = 15+, Deity = 35+, bit**=15+, F***=20 , As* = 15+, da**=10 +.)
2.5 Stars

Have you read and ARC of Speechless? Thoughts? Do you plan to read this? Do you agree with any of my opinions? I'd love to hear any thoughts you want to share.

0 comments:

Search Me:


Follow on Bloglovin
Powered by Blogger.

Grab My Button!

Photobucket

Total Pageviews