Tuesday, August 14, 2012
Author: Jennifer Lynn Barnes
Published: 6.8.10 by Egmont
Pages: 418
Adopted by the Alpha of a werewolf pack after a rogue wolf brutally killed her parents right before her eyes, fifteen-year-old Bryn knows only pack life, and the rigid social hierarchy that controls it.  That doesn't mean that she's averse to breaking a rule or two.  

But when her curiosity gets the better of her and she discovers Chase, a new teen locked in a cage in her guardian's basement, and witnesses him turn into a wolf before her eyes, the horrific memories of her parents' murders return. Bryn becomes obsessed with getting her questions answered, and Chase is the only one who can provide the information she needs. But in her drive to find the truth, will Bryn push too far beyond the constraints of the pack, forcing her to leave behind her friends, her family, and the identity that she's shaped?
Inky's Blurbings
I don't read a lot of werewolf books. I just don't. I've never been a big fan of those human-turned-blood-lusting-creature kind of books. So when this was chosen as my Random Read for July I was a little unsure what to expect. But this book surprised me. Even though I eventually gave it 3.5 stars, I liked it more that I thought I would. 

Bryn wasn't a very hard MC to connect with at all. She was well explained and you could understand most of the reasoning behind feelings and choices. But still was still WAY to stubborn. Or just...pig-headed. Sometimes I would be sitting and thinking "You idiot! What are you doing?" It wasn't overly bad though, just a few times luckily. But other than some of her moments, it was really interesting to watch the mental struggles and strong points about her, including her weird power, which I will not say anything about.

As for supporting characters Devon and Lake were THE BEST. Hands down. Devon was this werewolf who's a geek for musicals. Um, yes please? And then we have Lake, a kick-butt werewolf with a gun named Matilda. If I ever get bit, I know who is going to be my new BF. Callum, the alpha of the pack, was half parent, half alpha to Bryn. Their relationship was one of the most unique I think I've ever read. Of course it's not often that you see a werewolf-turned-parent-to-a-human.Seeing the tension, growth and understanding between them was really well portrayed. The triangle between Callum and Bryn and the Pack was all very good, and hard to explain, yet really interesting to see how she focused on the Pack more than in individuals. A very nice take I think.

But I think the thing that drove me the most nuts, was the romance. Ugh, talk about insta-love? So it wasn't insta-LOVE. I didn't feel very much of the love in their relationship. It was more like insta-BOND. It was a little weird though. She's drawn to him because they went through similar situations and she wants to talk to someone who understands. But from the near beginning it's like, I-Have-To-Be-With-You... And then there is this whole deal with psychic connection to the pack and how Bryn kinds bonds the two of them so they need each other. All in all, it was strange and confusing. Maybe it sounds that way to you. (sorry it I'm confusing you!) But the bottom line is, I didn't feel any development. No growing relationship, where the characters really got to know each other as well as they could have. Just...bonding.

However Jennifer still portrayed a good setting, and story. I really did enjoy it for the most part and her writing wasn't all flawed. Yes, it seemed a little TOO poetic or wordy, at times, but it flowed and was nice for the most part. Hopefully, I haven't confused you in my blurbings. I would recommend this as a nice read if you like the werewolf aspect of paranormals. But it is not a favorite or a book I feel is a must-read. I have left out talking about a big part of the plot was super interesting and great, but more talk would be spoilers. Soo...that is Raised by Wolves.
3.5 Stars

Have you read this book? What did you think? I'd love to hear! TNT,



0 comments:

Search Me:


Follow on Bloglovin
Powered by Blogger.

Grab My Button!

Photobucket

Total Pageviews